Saturday, October 19, 2013

One hit wonder, damn it....

Mockingbird Lane

Yeah, now this is my kind of TV!

     This is a wonderful pilot for a possible revamping of an old TV series, The Munsters. I should mention that I am a HUGE fan of that show so I guess I was a little apprehensive about watching this for 2 reasons: Jerry O'Connell (not a fan of that smirk) and pretty much all the other 'reunions' they've done over the years (which were terrible).
Yeah, the likeness is just astounding
     The plot line is pretty typical, as we're dealing with a young Eddie Munster coming to terms with growing up and becoming a meat eating werewolf while wanting to be a vegetarian. This isn't near as slapstick as the original series as they went with a blacker humor and that was really the right way to go with it. Eddie Izzard tries to steal the show, and damn near does. Everyone does an amazing job and we were lucky to have Bryan Singer direct this. And every mark is hit, from Grandpa insisting that a neighbor rephrase how he invites him into the house (a la rules of vampires), to Marilyn's house shopping. I love the black deadpan humor, fuck I love this show! WHY DIDN'T THEY MAKE THIS INTO A SERIES!??!?!

...ahem...I'm a realist and I also know that it's doubtful a continuing series would be as well written as this, but damn it, it would have been nice to see them try.


     This was a great treat for me and I'm glad I finally took the time to watch it. Maybe not everyone got it, but it was a great service to a fan like me. Watch this if you like dark humor and Halloween. DO IT!!!

Saturday: The Curse of The Sequels 6: The Repeating

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I figured it was going to be this one. I love it.Some of the moments were just to sinfully funny to miss - like Grandpa getting his blues on with a hookah pipe blood pump.

    ReplyDelete