Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Baron Samedi...Is a Puffer Fish?

Grimm
"Ungrateful Dead"
(2013)


Almost forgot about this. It's only as episode but I'm counting it. I had no intention of watching this, but Hulu has a habit of starting new TV programs when you reach the credits of what you were viewing. Thus, Once Upon A Time begat Grimm.

Since I don't watch the show I had no idea what was going on but it was easy to understand most of it. Baron Samedi (the Haitian Voodoo Loa) is a tetrodotoxin-spitting puffer fish-like creature, who makes zombies and is wreaking general havoc in the Portland area. This turns out to be a distraction so that he can assist in kidnapping the Grimm for one of the Royals (your guess is as good as mine). There was also de-powered witch side story.
Baron Samedi: he was scarier in Live and Let Die.
The thing about Grimm is, I want to like it, but every "storybook creature" is really just some kind of were-animal - and they don't even discriminate. There are weremice, werefoxes, weresheep, werepigs, witches are some kind of were, werebees, even werefish. Sure they may not call them that, but I recognize a were when I see one.

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar feeling. I gave it several episodes, but just couldn't get motivated to watch the rest of the first season. I have a friend that enjoys it and feeds me tidbits once in awhile. But now it looks like it jumped the shark with 'zombie Grim' or whatever. Years from now, maybe I'll watch it through.

    ReplyDelete