Monday, October 29, 2012

There was no baby bear...

Mockingbird Lane

This re-imagining of cult fave The Munsters stars yummy Jerry O'Connell (the fat kid form Stand By Me) and Portia de Rossi (Mrs. Degeneres) as the lead pair, Herman and Lily.  However, Eddie Izzard's Grandpa steals the show with his anti-conformist antics.  This time around the Munsters are forced to move after a "baby bear" attacks Eddie's Wildlife Explorer scout troupe...or at least that's what they tell him.  Truth is that Eddie's hit puberty which for him means turning into a werewolf.  Lily and Herman disagree with Grandpa on how (or even if) they should reveal this to Eddie, creating the central conflict of the pilot.  While Herman and Lily want to feign normalcy - living in the hobo-murder mansion - and dance around the issue, Grandpa makes neighborhood-enslaving cookies and struts his position "outside the circle of life."



Personally, I liked the show and see how it would be an interesting series.  The depart from the campy in favor of the macabre is a welcomed change.  That said...I don't know.  Considering they aren't projecting a series until next year, based on reception, I feel they should have made more of an effort to make a longer, feature-length special instead of a mock pilot.  Plus, it made me watch Grimm.  

Fave scene: Grandpa swaying to the blues while using a steampunk artifact heart as an exsanguination aid.

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to see this despite my loathing of Jerry O'Connell (it's that damn smirk). I had a feeling that Eddie would steal the show. From what I've heard (and you alluded to), this was a pilot that failed and they decided to broadcast it as a one-off made for tv movie or a Halloween special. Just looking at the photo makes me want to revamp 2/3rds of the cast. Or at the very least, a costume change. I have to watch this now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, one of Portia's gowns was really just over the top for her character, who basically faded into the background. Marilyn was by far creepier.

    You can watch this on hulu for free. I'd love to read your reaction.

    ReplyDelete