Saturday, October 4, 2014

Hell Yeah!

I, Frankenstein


Whoa.

Frankly, I was expecting to sit through angsty grunting and ridiculous gargoyle smash fights. Not so. This movie took itself seriously and delivered on stylish, high-quality special effects - well, the demons did look BTVS-ish - and pretty good script. Aaron Eckhart was awesome as the aggrieved and hunted creature.

Dear Dr. Frankenstein, Can you make me one, too?


This has an Underworld feel to it, which is not surprising since the same person (Kevin Grevioux) wrote the original concept. I remember the first time that I saw Underworld, I was like, "What the hell is this? Vampires with guns?" But the action and power dynamics hooked me and suddenly a whole genre was re-imagined as a race/class war. I felt the same way watching this. Suddenly your caught in the middle of someone's religious war, with no backup or direction. Do you choose a side or run? How long can you run? What is the "right" side seems isolated and desperate?

Pros: This movie had me at the first gargoyle transformation. Also, it stars Bill Nighy, who played Viktor in Underworld. I love his elocution. Kevin Grevioux has a part, too, and you have to love his voice. I think it set a good stage for sequels...the kind one actually wants.

Cons: A couple of elements seem rushed (possibly to set the stage for sequels). I would've liked to see a little more development between Adam (creature) and Terra (a scientist he meets). Clearly there is some barrier between home command and the Gargoyle Order. That could've been expanded on a little.

Overall: Totally buying this for my collection. I hope they have an expanded edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment